So I’m searching for a new BI\Dashboard software company that offers a very narrow list of features, to wit:
- Primarily driven by dashboard creation that integrates with MOSS
- Provides for mobile dashboards accessible from iPhone\iPad, Droid and Windows Mobile
- Pre-built MS SSAS cubes for Dynamics AX
- I didn’t care if it provided ETL creation or cube creation capabilities as I’m pretty comfortable inside BIDS and with SSIS and SSAS.
- I did a Google search (sorry, Bing search) using terms meaningful to me and filtered down the first 5 pages of returns to get a list of potential companies. I know almost all of them already, but hadn’t spent much time on their websites before. So, that was my first stop. All I wanted to know was what products they had, a quick synopsis on what each does, if they integrated to AX and MOSS, did they have a mobile solutions and what the basic pricing was like.
Instead, I had to weed through pages that talked about business value, solutions, the importance of analytics, their management team, their mission, the customer lists, synergy, recorded demos, dense graphics, customer testimonials, news listings etc. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
In essence, I wanted to know 5 simple things and had about 10 minutes total to learn them. Instead, I wasted all 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to find what I needed. In essence, their sites weren’t letting me buy – they were forcing me to be sold.
Go take a look at your company’s website – what do you see?